March 7, 2010

Who Do You Think You Are?

According to Dick Eastman's newsletter, ""Who Do You Think You Are"  had the second highest viewing audience when it premiered Friday evening.  Some 6.9 million people watched the program.  The highest watched program of the evening was Dateline which was televised following "Who Do You Think You Are".
 
So it looks like Ancestry, NEHGS and others really did a good job of getting the word out about this new t.v. program.  It is certainly hoped that it will encourage many people to begin their family histories by going to genealogy societies, libraries, archives and what  have you.
 
There has been some discussion as to what viewers thought of the program.  Some long time researchers were very critical.  I tried viewing as from the perspective of someone who might never have done their family genealogy but was interested.  I think the excitement at each document shown would have encouraged me to give it a go.
 
All rights reserved.
Lucie's Legacy
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino

2 comments:

A rootdigger said...

yes, it will be viewed and it will make an impact. They touch on some dramatic issues. Salem religion and it's courts. The Slave trade. the Holocost and the polish people. And they do so in such a personal way, that it disturbs you. I only hope it doesn't put fear into someone. so much so, that they think they don't want to look.

I had questions about why the families lost touch with those in usa during the war, and I think it was the case for both sides safety issues. [blog idea].

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you for your post! Actually I think the program will encourage people to go digging for their roots. No matter who we are and where we search there is always something one could run away from. In my case, I felt the anguish of my deported ancestors for a very long time once I became aware of their lot. It is our history that makes us who we are today and when we know our past it helps us to build on the future and to leave a rich heritage for our yet unknown descendants. ;o)