January 20, 2010

Wordless Wednesday - Raquel De Castillo born 1891

Raquel (Rachel) De Castillo born 1891
Raquel De Castillo was my great aunt through marriage.  She married my grandmother Arthémise Dumais Levesque's brother Napoleon Dumais. What I have been finding is that Napoleon used the surname Dumas rather than Dumais or the census enumerator misspelled the name.

This morning I found them in a 1920 Federal Census living in Lawrence, Massachusetts.  It tells me that they married in Cuba, were in Lawrence for the birth of their first child, returned to Cuba where three more children were born and were back in Lawrence for the birth of their last two children. 

My mother often spoke of "ma tante Rachel" (aunt Rachel) and she loved  her dearly.  No one seems to know what became of them and my mother's first cousins (in their high 80s and 90s) believe they returned to Cuba at some point.  It was thanks to them that just a few years ago I learned that Raquel was married to my Napoleon.  Until then, I had no idea how my family was related to her.

If anyone has information on this family, I would love to hear from you.

All Rights Reserved
Lucie's Legacy
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino

9 comments:

Lori E said...

Gosh you have to wonder why they went to Cuba. Puzzle.

Lori H said...

I love this picture. She is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

kinfolknews said...

Absolutely beautiful!
~Regina

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

At this point I have no proof one way or the other. Raquel was born there so they may well have decided to go back to Cuba. I hope this does not remain an unsolvable.

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you both. I have always loved this picture of Raquel - she really is so beautiful. My mother always liked the way she dressed - she had style ;o)

wendy said...

Beautiful lady! That's a great photo as well. Do you have any information on why the photo was taken or what studio? Thanks for sharing!
Wendy at
http://allmybranches.wordpress.com

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately not - I've posted the only information that I have. Somehow... somehow... I hope I will find more. I am going to contact the cousins again (my mother's first cousins) to see if they recall anything else. Their memories are great so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Adrianna Blanco said...

Hey, cousin Lucie. I am so glad I found you & your blog. I sent you a photo via facebook. I have a question. I found the family tree for Sara & George Dumais (http://www.acadian-home.org/genealogy-dumais.html) , but Napoleon is not listed among their children. As soon as my uncle Billy calls me I will have him call you. Blessings, Adrianna Goodrich Blanco

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Hi Adriana..thanks so much for the great photo! This is so marvelous!

Goodrich: Dumais means to have - du of mais thing or things - that has to be how your great grandfather came up with Goodrich ;o)

Cousin Lucie